High Risk Day

Delve into the light and dark that is Mark
Delve into the light and dark that is Mark

Before my eyes opened I could tell it was not going to be a hallmark day this last day of August, 2016. The intensity of the pressure on my airways was crushing. The mucus buildup was insane.

The weather forecasters could not have it any more right. Today is an At High Risk day for those of us with respiratory concerns.

Tuesday was bad enough, but so far this morning, yesterday pales in comparison. Trying to function is an all out war between mind, body and my breathing organs.

Such is life.

A lot of this could be what I experience each time the weather changes. An autumn style front is moving in which will make the start of September more like mid to late October.

Often I know the change is coming hours or days before it arrives.

Since Susie took Chooey and got his nails cut, my little buddy does not want to be down on the carpet. Instead he stays on the couch or in a chair next to me.

When I am in the recliner, Chooey often hops from couch to coffee table to the footrest to the computer chair and up on the computer desk to rest his head on the tower.

Chooey has also been reluctant to go outside. But he is always ready to go for a ride.

I am wondering if Chooey feels less able to defend himself now that his nails are cut.

That’s the way it is in Mark’s Den.

And how is your Wednesday going?

Published by


I am Mark Ivy, a born and bred Hoosier. I am father to two wonderful sons, Dave and Kev, of whom I am very proud; two terrific daughters-in-law, Anna and Hailey; three beautiful granddaughters, Dylan, Alaina and Amelia. On May 9, 2017, my lung specialist hit me with the news I had maybe six months to live if the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the damage caused by the histoplasmosis described below, ran its normal course. I am now on hospice at home. Content and ready to cross over the river to the other side. On September 2, 2014, I was diagnosed with disseminated histoplasmosis, a fungal infection, discovered by a biopsy of my larynx. The infection is fatal if left untreated. For 2 1/2 years I lived under a death sentence being misdiagnosed with a non-specific bacterial infection which left my right lung a "dried up sponge" and non-functioning. I was aggressively treated for the infection with antifungals. The treatment ended October of 2015 and fortunately did not take two years. I suffer from chronic Horton's Syndrome. The effects vary widely causing various problems. Statistically, Horton's affects only 0.1% of the population. Major depression also attacks me regularly.