Alarming Sunday Night

Delve into the light and dark that is Mark

A beautiful, but rainy Sunday turned as the sun went down. Fever set in. Chills brought shiver. Mucus color changed. Pneumonia struck suddenly.

Texts, private messages and phone calls followed. Dad and Susie came back in town to be with me until my nurse, Tabitha, could arrive.

My temperature rose from 100.6 to 103.9. To combat the fever, Tabitha had me take 600 milligrams of ibuprofen. It was determined I needed an antibiotic.

When I rose today, my hair was wet. Overnight the fever broke.

Tabitha returned this morning with Levaquin in a 750 milligrams dosage to  take for seven days. She also brought me a case of strawberry Boost.

Mom and Bill returned this morning to complete the cleaning job on my apartment. My great-nephew, Chevy, came along as well.

Today is turning out better than last night.

While Mom and Bill were here, Joe with Guardian arrived to setup and activate my home and button emergency alarm and fall detector. Now help is a push away. This is definitely a blessing with Iohn gone, leaving me without a caregiver.

That’s the way it is in Mark’s Den.

And how is your Monday going?

Kev and Hailey headed to the prom.

Published by


I am Mark Ivy, a born and bred Hoosier.
I am father to two wonderful sons, Dave and Kev, of whom I am very proud;
two terrific daughters-in-law, Anna and Hailey; three beautiful granddaughters, Dylan, Alaina and Amelia.

On May 9, 2017, my lung specialist hit me with the news I had maybe six months to live if the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the damage caused by the histoplasmosis described below, ran its normal course. I am now on hospice at home. Content and ready to cross over the river to the other side.

On September 2, 2014, I was diagnosed with disseminated histoplasmosis, a fungal infection, discovered by a biopsy of my larynx.
The infection is fatal if left untreated. For 2 1/2 years I lived under a death sentence being misdiagnosed
with a non-specific bacterial infection which left my right lung a “dried up sponge” and non-functioning.
I was aggressively treated for the infection with antifungals.
The treatment ended October of 2015 and fortunately did not take two years.

I suffer from chronic Horton’s Syndrome. The effects vary widely causing various problems.
Statistically, Horton’s affects only 0.1% of the population. Major depression also attacks me regularly.