Slumber Disruption

Delve into the light and dark that is Mark

My slumber was disrupted this morning by the squawking of my medical alert system’s control box.

I sprung from the bed faster than I should have. I rushed to the living room faster than I should have.

Mother Nature called. I rushed to the bathroom faster than I should have.

The Guardian monitor came on the line to ask if I needed assistance. I yelled from the little boys’ room I was OK. She did not hear me.

While still in the rest room, my cell phone rang. Finished, I rushed to answer faster than I should have. I missed the call from Guardian.

I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down in my recliner. My house phone rang.

It was Guardian.

I told her I was fine. My alert button had been set off accidentally.

Joe, who installed the alert system Monday, had told me this could happen while the alert sensor “learned” my body.

That’s the way it is in Mark’s Den.

And how is your Thursday?

#ThrowBackThursday photo:

Four Generations: Phil, Dad holding Johnathan, Phil Jr.

Published by


I am Mark Ivy, a born and bred Hoosier.
I am father to two wonderful sons, Dave and Kev, of whom I am very proud;
two terrific daughters-in-law, Anna and Hailey; three beautiful granddaughters, Dylan, Alaina and Amelia.

On May 9, 2017, my lung specialist hit me with the news I had maybe six months to live if the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the damage caused by the histoplasmosis described below, ran its normal course. I am now on hospice at home. Content and ready to cross over the river to the other side.

On September 2, 2014, I was diagnosed with disseminated histoplasmosis, a fungal infection, discovered by a biopsy of my larynx.
The infection is fatal if left untreated. For 2 1/2 years I lived under a death sentence being misdiagnosed
with a non-specific bacterial infection which left my right lung a “dried up sponge” and non-functioning.
I was aggressively treated for the infection with antifungals.
The treatment ended October of 2015 and fortunately did not take two years.

I suffer from chronic Horton’s Syndrome. The effects vary widely causing various problems.
Statistically, Horton’s affects only 0.1% of the population. Major depression also attacks me regularly.