What’s Air Got to Do with It?

8:47 a.m.

The electricity out.

The oxygen concentrater was not working.

No clue how long I had been with out the vital air.

Could not move well enough to get to back-up oxygen canister, turn it on, get air flowing to my system being strangled by lack of 02.

Shortly before 9, I pushed my Guardian Alert button.

Mark, do you need help?” the voice on the other end of the line asked.

After being admonished not to shout, I managed to convey the power outage leaving me struggling for air. Barely able to text, I made those messages my lifeline until help could arrive.

I concentrated.

Kept from lapsing into a panic.

Did not allow the situation to overwhelm me.

Nurse Tabitha opened the door and went right to work.

The back-up cannula was on and the contents of the air tank flowing through the tube into my starving airways. Blood/oxygen percentage had plummeted to 71!

10:47 a.m. 

Electricity was running through the lines to hungry sockets and devices. Life returned to normal. Aides Bambi and Ashlyn walked through the door to take over for Tabitha until I was back 100%.

That’s the way it has been in Mark’s Den.

And how is your Wednesday going?

Aunt Nancy, holding oldest child Michelle, Grandma Powell and Mom

Published by


I am Mark Ivy, a born and bred Hoosier. I am father to two wonderful sons, Dave and Kev, of whom I am very proud; two terrific daughters-in-law, Anna and Hailey; three beautiful granddaughters, Dylan, Alaina and Amelia. On May 9, 2017, my lung specialist hit me with the news I had maybe six months to live if the chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), the damage caused by the histoplasmosis described below, ran its normal course. I am now on hospice at home. Content and ready to cross over the river to the other side. On September 2, 2014, I was diagnosed with disseminated histoplasmosis, a fungal infection, discovered by a biopsy of my larynx. The infection is fatal if left untreated. For 2 1/2 years I lived under a death sentence being misdiagnosed with a non-specific bacterial infection which left my right lung a "dried up sponge" and non-functioning. I was aggressively treated for the infection with antifungals. The treatment ended October of 2015 and fortunately did not take two years. I suffer from chronic Horton's Syndrome. The effects vary widely causing various problems. Statistically, Horton's affects only 0.1% of the population. Major depression also attacks me regularly.